Performs overall management direction for new and existing projects. Acts as company representative to develop new business opportunities and relationships with new and existing clients.
Review new project assignments carefully to determine all bid requirements, for example:
- Bid due dates
- Bid security or bonding requirements
- Pre-bid meeting
- Insurance requirements
- Liquidated damages
- Schedule requirements
- Pre-qualifications, previous experience, ownership, financial data, etc.
- Safety plans
- Execution plans
- Review sample Contracts and General Conditions
- Review drawings and specifications
- Prevailing or fixed wage requirements
- MBE/WBE participation requirements
- Miscellaneous requirements
1. Review project specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
2. Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and man-hour figures for new project estimate preparation
3. Maintain files of working documents as backup for estimate figures, including current (accurate)information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
4. Prepare discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work
5. May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials and prepare voluntary alternates
6. Calculate material quantity requirements (i.e. take-offs) from engineering drawing dimensions
7. Prepare complete estimate for selected project with detailed review of proposal specifications, drawings, takeoff information, contracting, and the like
8. Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required
9. Review all final estimate packages to insure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation
10. Track awarded contracts as required – to include estimating/pricing extra work items, change orders, credit, procuring materials, preparation of buyout and subcontract purchase orders
11. Initiate and maintain liaison with prime client, A/E contacts and subcontractors to facilitate construction activities, schedule, budget are maintained
12. Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of corporate policy
13. Monitor/control construction through administrative direction of onsite Field Superintendent to ensure project is built in accordance with drawings and specifications on schedule and within budget; investigate potentially serious situations and implement corrective measures
14. Chair weekly coordination meetings of current projects as required.
15. Manage financial aspects of contracts (fee payments, rental equipment, income/expenses, etc.) to protect company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with Client
16. Maintain official project log and documentation files
17. Work with Safety and Quality Director to ensure implementation/interpretation of company safety standards and regulatory agency requirements are met
18. Represent company/project in meetings with client, subcontractors, unions, etc. as required
19. On union projects, may assist in jurisdictional disputes and negotiations as required
20. Assume additional responsibilities as directed by corporate executives
21. Assist corporate and project management to determine what types of projects to bid, strategies, techniques, etc.
22. Participate in presentations to corporate management and Clients; preparation of pre-qualification documents
Qualifications and Experience
Four year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience. Advanced management or technical training preferred. Extensive experience in similar facility construction estimating and related functions. Plus a thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, project management and construction management. Excellent organizational, supervision and decision making/problem solving skills essential. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Project, etc).
Salary based on educational and work achievements. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/prescription/dental/vision benefits, life and disability insurance, 401k, and paid time off.
It is the policy of Abel to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability (as defined by applicable law), veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable state or local law. This policy extends to all aspects of employment opportunity including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall, reduction in force, termination, retirement, placement, training and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment.