Provides overall management administration to project and assists in establishing project specific objectives and policies. Provides technical direction and guidance to subordinate managers, enforces company and project policies, maintains close client interface, and ensures all facets of the project are constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule through subordinate managers and supervisors.
Position has significant profit/loss responsibility for assigned construction project. Performs all functions and responsibilities in partnership with the company’s culture, corporate vision, ethics and code of conduct. Performs overall management direction for new and existing projects. Acts as company representative to develop new business opportunities and relationships with new and existing clients.
Review new project assignments carefully to determine all bid requirements, for example:
- Bid due dates
- Bid security or bonding requirements
- Pre-bid meeting
- Insurance requirements
- Liquidated damages
- Schedule requirements
- Pre-qualifications, previous experience, ownership, financial data, etc.
- Safety plans
- Execution plans
- Review sample contracts and general conditions
- Review drawings and specifications
- Prevailing or fixed wage requirements
- MBE/WBE participation requirements
- Miscellaneous requirements
1. Review project specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
2. Demonstrate leadership skills and communication skills requiring client interaction
3. Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and man-hour figures for new project estimate preparation
4. Maintain files of working documents as backup for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
5. Prepare discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work
6. May review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials and prepare voluntary alternates
7. Calculate material quantity requirements (i.e. take-offs) from engineering drawing dimensions
8. Prepare complete estimate for selected project with detailed review of proposal specifications, drawings, takeoff information, contracting, and the like
9. Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required
10. Review all final estimate packages to insure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation
11. Track awarded contracts as required, to include estimating/pricing extra work items, change orders, credit, procuring materials, preparation of buyout and subcontract purchase orders
12. Initiate and maintain liaison with prime client, A/E contacts and subcontractors to facilitate construction activities, schedule, budget are maintained
13. Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of corporate policy
14. Monitor/control construction through administrative direction of onsite Field Superintendent to ensure project is built in accordance with drawings and specifications on schedule and within budget; investigate potentially serious situations and implement corrective measures
15. Chair weekly coordination meetings of current projects as required.
16. Manage financial aspects of contracts (fee payments, rental equipment, income/expenses, etc.) to protect company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with Client
17. Maintain official project log and documentation files
18. Work with Safety and Quality Director to ensure implementation/interpretation of company safety standards and regulatory agency requirements are met
19. Represent company/project in meetings with client, subcontractors, unions, etc. as required
20. On union projects, may assist in jurisdictional disputes and negotiations as required
21. Assume additional responsibilities as directed by corporate executives
22. Assist corporate and project management to determine what types of projects to bid, strategies, techniques, etc.
23. Participate in presentations to corporate management and Clients; preparation of pre-qualification documents
Qualifications and Experience
Four year engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related experience. Advanced management or technical training preferred. Extensive experience in similar facility construction estimating and related functions. Plus a thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, project management and construction management. Excellent organizational, supervision and decision making/problem solving skills essential. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Project, etc).
Salary based on educational and work achievements. We also offer a comprehensive benefit package including Health Insurance, 401K, Cafeteria Plan, etc.